Professor Lang Tong and former students Weisi Deng and Yuting Ji received the Best Paper Award for Energy Systems at the 50th Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences. Read more about Tong Group Wins Best Paper Award at HICSS'50
Lang Tong joined Cornell University in 1998 where he is now the Irwin and Joan Jacobs Professor in Engineering and the Cornell site director of the Power Systems Engineering Research Center (PSERC). His current research focuses on optimization, machine learning, and market operations of smart grid and future energy systems.
A Fellow of IEEE, a distinguished lecturer of the IEEE Signal Processing Society, and the 2018 Fulbright Distinguished Chair in Alternative Energy, Professor Tong has made contributions in multiple technical fields in electrical engineering, including signal processing, communications, networking, and power systems, for which he received best paper awards from the IEEE Signal Processing, Communications, and Power and Energy societies, and his students received seven student paper awards.
Optimization, machine learning, and power system and market operations. Electric vehicles and smart transportation systems. Cyber security. Internet of Things.
Statistical inference, machine learning, optimization, power and energy systems, electricity markets.
- Zhe Yu, Yunjian Xu, and Lang Tong. 2018. "Deadline scheduling as restless bandits," IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control. DOI: 10.1109/TAC.2018.2807924.
- Ye Guo, Yuting Ji, and Lang Tong. 2018. "Generalized coordinated transaction scheduling: a market approach to seamless interfaces." IEEE Transactions on Power Systems. DOI: 10.1109/TPWRS.2018.2803749.
- Daniel Munoz-Alvarez and Lang Tong. 2017. "On the efficiency of connection charges---Part I: a stochastic framework; Part II: integration of distributed energy resources. IEEE Transactions on Power Systems. DOI: 10.1109/TPWRS.2017.2782802
- Shanjun Li, Lang Tong, Jianwei Xing, and Yiyi Zhou. 2017. "The market for electric vehicles: indirect network effects and policy design" Journal of the Association of Environmental and Resource Economists. DOI:10.1086/689702
- Oliver Kosut, Lang Tong, and David Tse. 2014. "Polytope codes against adversaries in networks." IEEE Transactions on Information Theory. DOI: 10.1109/TIT.2014.2314642
Selected Awards and Honors
- Fulbright Distinguished Chair in Alternative Energy, 2018
- IEEE Power and Energy Society General Meeting Best Conference Papers, 2015, 2016, 2018, and 2019
- IEEE Signal Processing Society Best Paper Award, 2004
- IEEE Communications Society Leonard G. Abraham Price Paper Award, 2014
- IEEE Circuit and Systems Society Outstanding Young Author Award, 1993
- ONR Young Investigator Award, 1996
- B.Sc. (Automation), Tsinghua University, 1985
- M.S. (Electrical Engineering), 1988
- Ph.D. (Electrical and Communications Engineering), University of Notre Dame, 1990
- Post-Doctor, Stanford University, 1991